I don't like coffee but I love Starbucks

so read along as I unravel the world around me from a coffeeshop

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Tall skinny cinnamon dolce latte

First things first. I might like the nonskinny version of this drink. I'm loving the 90 calories but I need a little something more. The worst thing is when something tastes watered-down. Also, me ordering this implies that I know what I'm doing when I order, at Starbucks or elsewhere, whereas in reality I am the Queen of indecisive ordering and getting the same thing every time I go. Please don't be disappointed in the future with the large number of venti iced green teas I get.

I may never know why, but today inspiration hit--inspiration to try something new at Starbucks and to start a blog.

So I started with that because people like Starbucks; people usually find things like what people order interesting. I, on the other hand, am not interesting. And I don't intend to be. Let me rephrase, this blog is not about me. It is impossible for me to not write through my personal lens and within my personal sphere but hopefully thats a looking glass you'll want to look through with me. I don't expect you to want to live vicariously through me.

The question still remains: What is this blog about? Tea and other fascinating things, duh! Such as,
Observations about the people around me:
The slow and obvious judgement of a girl on girl interaction
The awkward professor failing to go unnoticed in a sea of students
The girl who talks too much on a lunch date :-(
the guy sleeping in one of the comfy chairs (who does that!? sleeping at Starbucks=sketchy)
The students who fool themselves into thinking they are working even though they inevitably revert back to facebook
The group of girls that somehow make up 80% of the noise in this place
The give-me-coffee-quick types
The wannabe artsy people that sit in coffeeshops with their plaid and v-necks and floppy hats
The wannabe wannabe artsy people that awkwardly sit and judge everyone else in the room (yeah that’s me)

insightful things I learn in school:
Your opinions matter. voice them.
judge people. act appropriately based on your judgements. slap people who say not to judge. (just kidding I added that last part in; they can't teach that in schools.)
although Obama resembles Hitler in rhetorical style, its not very nice to make the comparison because our society has made Hitler synonymous with evil and President Obama isn't evil. (through my lens, political pessimism and optimism are more important than republican and democrat)
women's senses increase astronomically when they are ovulating which makes them more sensitive to the other gender and more likely to partake in the act of reproduction. (this is not an overshare; its fascinating, continuation of the human race at it finest)
minimum wage is less than it should be according to inflation rates. (I probably won't include things like that often because its a bit of a downer and not very fascinating)

And of course!
Things about tea/coffee/starbucks etc.
the best coffee on earth is harvested by the poorest children in the world. drink tea . (got this fact courtesy of a friend)
Starbucks used to double-cup their drinks before someone invented the sleeve in 1997. They didn't really stop double-cupping until fairly recently though. The sleeve is "60% post-consumer fiber" according to my cup right beside me. Thank you Starbucks, Love Planet Earth.
I love the song "Falling in Love in a Coffeeshop" by Landon Pigg. It's the one that goes "I think that possibly maybe I'm falling for you" and was in that cute AT&T commercial
Coffeeshop songs are included in this category. Right now they're playing Jesse's girl. I'm a fan.

and I feel I need to give myself a loophole, so the final category is
Other fascinating things: (i.e. whatever I want to talk about :-))

love from my starbucks to yours,
Paula

1 comment:

  1. I love that AT&T commercial song! I have it on my iPhone and it always makes me want to fall in love. Eh, everything makes me want to fall in love but that song really is sweet.

    ReplyDelete